A while ago I met someone who invited me to check out his trees.
Due to health problems it was hard for him to work on his bonsai as much as he would like, so now and then he invites friends over to help him out.
He had really nice trees and all the result of many Years of training.
This is the tree before when I started wiring.
I noticed this setsogoyu white pine and saw that with some wiring this one could look really good again. So I asked him if I could. He said he would really like that and a few days later I picked it up to take it home.
It had some old needles turning yellow so i took them of. Applied the wire and started setting the branches. At first I thought it would be cool to make it into a classic white pine with a really long side branch pointing at the sun, but I really don’t do a lot of cascading bonsai so this was a good challenge.
The hardest part was balancing the long branch and get the pads right so it had some depth. Overall I think it worked out pretty well.
In the future it needs to be repotted as it is potbound and maybe tilted to the left a bit. For now this is the result.
Im doing a demo 15 okt. At the bonsaiclub http://www.shimpaku.nl/
And you are all invited. 😉
The demo will be on a big juniper that i’ve been Preparing for a while now and starts at 11 o’clock.
The adres is : Hoevedreef 2, 4567 EC Clinge
It’s going to be great fun and hope to see you all there!
I styled this mugo forest today.
The previous owner planted this one 7 years ago after he saw this composition in real life somewhere close to his home. It was never wired only pruned. The original front is now the back of the forest. The previous owner was present at the time I styled it and was a little in doubt about the new front, but after seeing the result he said he respected my decision to turn it around. Next year it will be replanted and the angle chanced slightly to show the fifth trunk a little better. Also I will add some more little trees in the back to created more depth.
This is the first time it’s ever wired and the result for now.
I traded this little juniper with a friend for one of my trees. He replanted it to make the base wider I guess and try to let it make roots.
Than the tree was taken to a workshop with bonsai master Taiga Urushibata. Shari’s were added and a basic shape was given.
I really wanted a Han kengai and with replanting it the curly trunk was perfect to transform it in a semi cascade. The only thing is that it will take some years to reduce the top of the rootball to fit a pot. Foliage is styled and cut back as far as possible to get foliage in the right places while the main branches can grow out.
The shari’s are going to be bigger too and the deadwood will be worked on in the future. The future vision of tea tree will be a curly trunk with lots of deadwood and smaller lifeveins.
Time to grow so this is the work till now. Bit hard to see on the picture, but with this angle the trunk has some great movement.
Today I also styled this little Sabina Juniper it was standing in a corner at the nursery planted in a weird position so it looked like the tree was almost falling over.
It needed to get some TLC and I decided to repot it into a deeper pot in a different angle. From this side it shows the nice deadwood but also the lifevein curling up. It takes out some of the straighter trunk parts this way.
It’s a slender trunk with some nice movement so I decided to make the foliage close to the trunk and also fit the slender shape. The long Jin needs to be shortened in the future, but now it holds some guy wires.
New look and ready to be sold!
Today I went to Bonsai Yume in Belgium to help out with some trees and preparing my demotree for a demo I have in september.
It’s a big Juniper that was standing in the nursery for a longer time now. I was looking for something to use on my demo. Maarten van der Hoeven from Bonsaiplaza.nl offered me juniper to borrow for the demo, but looking at it longer we came to the conclusion the tree was to far in development to use. This wouldn’t make it a interesting demo to look at. So I went to Belgium to ask my friend Steve to help me out and he came with this big Juniper. It was a tree that was hard to sell because of it’s size and with the front displayed it didn’t look that interesting.
I decided to turn the tree around and use the other side that had 2 veins.and some good deadwood parts. After some bark cleaning we sat down and looked at the tree from a totally different angle. More sideways and from that angle the trunk movement is way more flowing. So I decided that should be the new front.
Next time i’ll start carving and cleaning the deadwood. I do these things prior to the demo because time is limited there, the tree is huge and I can’t expect people to watch me clean the bark and carve away for a couple of hours.
Here are some pictures and the final result will be posted in September.
Last week I went to my friend Steve, he owns a nursery called Bonsai Yume in Belgium.
Lots of great staring material and great trees. Most of them are pretty big ones like this Scots Pine. He bought it from someone who was ending his hobby and just let it grow out for a while. Time to give it a first styling to get some light and air in it.
Hard to see on the picture but it had 5 trunk like branches. We decided to remove the one in front and one in the back to open up the the tree.
I had some good help with wiring from Steve and his dad. Here is the tree with some major branches removed and after some thinning out. The tree is wired open to promote backbudding and the foliage needs to grow closer to trunk in the future to compact the tree.
This is the result till now, next year the tree should be repotted and planted a little deeper to make the left stump on the base look more like a root. And I think in 5 years from now this will be a great tree.