Earlier on I posted about one of my first projects. An Oak I dug up in 2011. It almost no roots and was just a bare trunk. The reason I dug it out was because I didn’t know better back then and because I liked the bark.
One common mistake I also made was just digging something out not knowing what to do with it so I left it in the garden in a big pot and waited if something would happen.
The first year nothing really happened except for some buds development on the trunk and tiny branches emerged that died off in fall. The next year it started to make more branches and and leafs everywhere on the trunk.
But still growth was slow and some of the branches died off again. However in leave it looked better already.
In 2013 I decided to look at the roots and saw it had developed a firm rootball. What a difference in 2 years. So I transplanted it into a smaller box and wired some branches.
It still has a lot of empty spaces and because airlayering Oaks is difficult I decided to keep it this way for the moment. The years before I didn’t do any branch selection but now early fall came and I thought it was a good time to do. Also It would fit fine in a normal pot. I wired some branches I wanted to keep, and soon discovered that I should have done all these things like selection much earlier. If I did the tree would have been more developed by now.
Also it had no taper at all so with some deadwood features which I hope will be refined by nature I try’d to get some sort of taper in there. Also a thing to keep in mind when I take on such a project again. I’ve been spending my time correcting the mistakes I made the last three years.
But now wired and ready to go into season 4 I hope next year will bring more new growth and branches so after that I can do a little refinement.